Saturday, July 22, 2006

Mickey!

Thursday was my last day of school in Japan. It was pretty uneventful. We went through a whole assembly where teachers checked the length and uniforms of the students right before summer vacation began. The usual banter about studying hard, how summer vacation really isn't a vacation and other random sayings about school were said by the faculty.
At the end of the day (which was sort of a half-day) class ended, the kids piled out and I didn't even get to get a picture of the class. I admit, I did forget until it was too late - but I got a few goodbyes. I also got a nice present from kyoto-sensei or the Vice Principle and afterwards ate lunch with Ryuya and waited in homeroom until my host day could come and pick me up.
The day before though was a little more interesting. The whole school went to the local opera house to see Megaimon. Which is apparently an opera, but looked and sounded like a musical. Of course at times, the actors did get a little melodramatic so I guess it'll pass.
Anyway here are some pictures. I couldn't really understand much, but I know it was pretty funny (I was laughing at all the pantomime) and the actors were pretty good. I'm just glad I got to see a piece of Japanese theatre at work. And hopefully when I return, I'll get to see some truly great stuff out there.



---

Today I just got back from watching some hanabi or fireworks here in Toyohashi. Of course they were beautiful, but it still amazes me how much the Japanese are amazed by fireworks. Of course, they're beautiful - but they truly do enjoy them it's really nice to watch. I've been feeling a lot like a kid lately... because yesterday my family took me to TOKYO DISNEY SEA!!!!

Okay - the emphasis placed on that might be a little scary, but I was truly looking forward to going. And I'm glad I finally did get to see a piece of Tokyo Disney magic. Of course, the whole affair is almost a sacred occasion for my family. They are truly Disney freaks and they have a shrine with all sorts of Disney collectibles and memorabilia in their living room. It's cute and the Disney Co. should be very thankful for their over-zealous spending habits in its stores. I tried to resist, but even I ended up buying quite a bit of Disney junk. Hey, I've always wanted those Mickey Mouse gloves my mother refused me when I was 9.

When the Japanese go to Tokyo's Disney attraction it's fascinating to watch because (1) they dress up in all sorts of Disney-sanctioned clothing, (2) they buy, buy, buy oh and (3) truly freak out when they see Mickey Mouse and Goofy suits walking around. The whole operation seemed a little more involved and lively here in Tokyo than back home in Florida. And of course, a hell of a lot more cleaner.

While the rides were pretty tame but I still had a wonderful time. The gloomy rain wasn't too much fun, and I didn't get much sleep since we drove all the way from Aichi-ken to Chiba-ken where Tokyo Disney Sea is, but my family's sheer excitement more than made up for it.

My face when I get no sleep and eat a delicious breakfast. A confliction indeed.




Rio has some of the scariest faces in the world I think. She's the weirdest kid I think I'll ever know and I love her for that. Her obsession for Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride and Edward Scissorhands is understandable.

My family gets crazy when they see Disney characters.

These two were a pretty good duo and the lady had a nice soprano. My host dad knows more Italian songs than I do.


Disney fireworks are pretty amazing. Putting a show like this one, every day (which I'm sure is a lot less during the rainy season of Japan) must be a ton of cash. It was beautiful nonetheless. Yes, Mickey's really screechy voice and really okashii (odd) Japanese included. (i.e. Minna-san, natsu wa daisuki desu kaaaaa???)

Spending too much at the big Disney Store. (i.e. my dazed and confused look in this picture) I didn't really like much of anything because it was either obnoxiously plastered with Mickey's silhouette, or it was annoyingly subtle. The amount of branding really bugged me, but Disney sure does run a tight and profitable ship here in Disney. I'm kind of surprised at how much I spent. Half out of peer pressure watching my family buy stuff, hahah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home